Children’s Choir Camp
Hearts, Hands and Voices
Worship and Fine Arts Day Camp
Trinity Lutheran Church, 1000 West Main St., Lansdale, PA 19446
Wednesday, July 5 through Saturday, July 8, 2023
Led by nationally recognized clinician Dr. Michael Burkhardt, this day camp is open to children who will be entering grades 2 through 7 in the fall of 2023. The camp will run from 9:00 am-3:00 pm Wednesday through Friday and from 9:00 am until 12:30 pm on Saturday. On Saturday at 11:00 am the children will help lead music at the closing worship service for the national ALCM (Association of Lutheran Church Musicians) conference, which will also be held at Trinity in Lansdale. The cost for the camp is $90/child. Optional extended care until 5:00 pm is provided at an additional cost of $25 for the week.
Hearts, Hands and Voices was first introduced in 2008 by artistic director Dr. Michael Burkhardt as a unique opportunity for churches of southeast Michigan to invite young people of all Christian faith and music backgrounds to come together in a safe and welcoming environment to grow spiritually and musically. It is a privilege for us to experience his gift of teaching in Pennsylvania!
Through hands-on experiences, Hearts, Hands and Voices endeavors to provide lifelong tools for creating, appreciating and sharing the arts, participating in worship, and leading productive lives in society.
Hearts, Hands and Voices seeks to:
- involve children in worship leadership roles in meaningful ways appropriate to their gifts, abilities, and language skills through a variety of worship experiences
- prepare children to lead worship with confidence and understanding through electives in leading worship and instrumental and choral experiences
- provide children with unique and various opportunities to sing, play, and visualize the faith through music and art from throughout time in a variety of languages and styles, including great hymns of the Church, anthems, and music of the liturgy
- prepare children to connect with music and art through aural (ear), visual (eyes), and kinesthetic (body) experiences
- Morning and afternoon worship
- Choir rehearsals
- Electives in worship and the arts:
- Leading worship with handchimes and handbells
- Orff ensemble
- Drumming – African tradition liturgical art/liturgical movement
- Planned recreation
- Midmorning and afternoon snacks