You are warmly invited to request a customized version of the virtual Christmas carol Angels We Have Heard on High, arranged by Anne Krentz Organ, by following the below instructions:
CUSTOMIZE YOUR STANZA 2 REFRAIN:
ALCM members may request a customized version that includes only the videos of their church members appearing during the stanza 2 refrain. (Note: the audio during the stanza 2 refrain will continue to be all the musicians participating. Only the visual video will be customized.) Customized versions are free and available to all ALCM members. Log into the ALCM members area to fill out this Virtual Christmas Carol Customized Stanza 2 refrain Request Form. Membership is open to everyone. Become an ALCM member now.
NOTE: Every video file requested for your customized version must be submitted by Sunday, November 21, 2021. You are welcome to use the recording you submitted last year, but it must be resubmitted to be included in your customized stanza 2 refrain. Only recordings submitted by Sunday, November 21, 2021 (regardless of when they were recorded) will be used in the customized stanza 2 refrain.
Recording Submission Instructions:
- Choose your part from the below options. Please print the PDF for your voice/instrumental part. Singers will see the keyboard part printed so you know when to come in. There are 10 voice parts to choose from: melody only high voice, melody only low voice, and choral parts: Soprano 1, 2, Alto 1, 2, Tenor 1, 2, Bass 1, 2. There are also parts for woodwinds, brass, strings, and handbells. Parts are not designed to be difficult but may require basic music reading or practice.
- Every voice part will have a guide video which includes an organ part and your own voice part (or if you prefer you can use the full choral guide part.) There is an organ guide part for the instrumentalists.
You will NEED:
- A phone with a video recorder to record yourself (Be sure it records you in horizontal rather than vertical)
- A computer or tablet to play the guide video
- Headphones to hear the guide video (preferably small in-ear headphones, but don’t worry if you don’t have those)
- The score you print out
- A QUIET place to record yourself
- Attire: If you would like to wear Christmas worship service attire that is appropriate, but not mandatory.
- Practice your part with the guide track recording until you feel comfortable. Note the dynamics written, and sing/play each note to its full value.
- Make sure your phone recording device is horizontal (landscape) and not vertical (portrait). Portrait recordings will become stretched and distorted in the virtual carol. When ready to record start your recording and state your name and the vocal/instrumental part you are submitting. Then begin the guide track which will play through your earbuds or headphones. Please continue recording until approximately ten seconds after performing your final note. This will allow editors to fade out of the final scene.
- Once you are happy with your recording it is IMPORTANT to save your file using the following File Name format which includes a period between each word/number: (example if you are singing the soprano 2 part)
To rename your video file on Mac OS and Windows: Right click the file name and select “rename” from the scroll down menu. Upload your file to the correct folder in our system at:
Please note: The upload process is most efficient from a computer. While mobile uploads are supported, a common issue is for uploads to stall when sent via mobile devices. Should you experience this, we suggest ensuring your wifi connection is strong, and transferring your video file to a computer should the issue continue.
Remember to use your Full Name and Voice or Instrument Part with periods between as seen in the above example. A working email will be required to submit your video, which will only be used to send you a confirmation that your file has been uploaded. Your recording will be over 3½ minutes in length and will have silence during interludes and other rests. Expect the upload process to take several minutes. If the upload does not go through, contact Kory at email@example.com.
To ensure privacy, ALCM and it’s creative partners do not collect email addresses from participants. Sometimes this creates difficulties when needing to contact participants whose recordings did not upload correctly. If you submit a recording and would like to be part of our database so we can contact you in the case of problems or questions, please enter your information here.
Please know we intend to make the customized carols available by
late afternoon on Tuesday, December 7.
Click the button to download sheet music and a sing-along track for your vocal part.
Click the button to download sheet music and a play-along track for your instrument.
Tips for recording a great video:
Record your video on your laptop, tablet, or phone.
If you’re using a tablet or phone, make sure your phone is horizontal (landscape) and not vertical (portrait). If at all possible, use a tripod for your device or sit the device on something sturdy and stationery.
Find a quiet place and use an external microphone if you have one (but not required!).
You don’t need to rent a studio to film your part. But, do your best to make sure the ambient noise (dishwashers, fire trucks, barking dogs, TVs, etc.) is at a minimum. The goal is to get a good, clean sound.
Use headphones to listen to the backing track you click on while reading the sheet music. You don’t want that audio to be in your video – just your voice / instrument!
Position yourself in the center of the shot, and make sure you’re filling up the frame.
Save your file.
Use any standard video file format. .mp4, .mov, .avi all work great.
When you name your file, use this standard naming convention:
Your.Name.Your.Part.mp4 (or .mov, etc.)
Produced with deep gratitude to volunteer carol setting arranger, Anne Krentz Organ.
Volunteer Guide Track Musicians
Lisa Watson, Soprano 1 – Tampa, FL
Sally Messner, Soprano 2 – Dexter, MI
Jennifer Baker-Trinity, Alto 1 – Saint Paul, MN
Julie Grindle, Alto 2 – Baldwinsville, NY
Paul Damico-Carper, Tenor 1 – Saint Paul, MN
Michael Needham, Tenor 2 – Grapevine, TX
Andy Heller, Bass 1 – Havertown, PA
Jerry Gunderson, Bass 2 – Phoenix, AZ
Julie Anne Wieck, Melody High Voice – Pullman, WA
Jim Loeffler, Melody Low Voice – Plano, TX
Anne Krentz Organ, Organ – Hoffman Estates, IL
Made possible through the generous financial support of Pauline and John Kiltinen.