This friendly and practical workshop is designed to connect, enrich, and encourage church musicians, clergy, assisting ministers, worship planners, and directors from congregations of all sizes and contexts, each with their own challenges and opportunities.
9:00am: Opening devotion & welcome
9:30am: Session I (St. John School Classroom)
10:45am: Session II (St. John School Classroom)
11:45am: Lunch (Church Fellowship Hall, Basement of St. John)
12:30pm: Session III (Concordia Music Building)
1:30-2:30pm: Tours of the New Concordia Music Building
3:00pm: Closing Recital with Christoph Bull (St. John Sanctuary)
- Shepherding your people with the church’s song during times of need and crisis
- Group lectio divina for the worship staff
- Sharing hymn stories with the congregation
- Planning contemporary worship
- Modern keyboard settings and worship tracks
- New organ and piano music
- Ways to engage student creativity through hymnody and liturgy in a Lutheran music classroom or children’s choir
- How different music education models (Kodály, Orff, Freierabend) can be applied in Lutheran schools or with children’s choirs
- Using motion and breath to lead congregations and ensembles
- Arranging accessible vocal music
- Instruments in worship
- Adapting pianistic music settings for the organ
- Leading congregational song from the piano
From St. John
Kantor Paul Soulek, Pastor David Rempfer, Ms. Caley Gerth
From Concordia University
Dr. Jeffrey Blersch, Dr. Elizabeth Grimpo, Dr. Kurt vonKampen, Dr. Joe Herl and Dr. Carol McDaniel, and contemporary Worship Arts Leaders Jordan Miller (Our Savior Lutheran, Norfolk) and Paul Kasaty (Christ Lutheran, Lincoln).
Special closing recital featuring Christoph Bull who likes “organ music, rock music and rocking organ music.”
Christoph Bull is university organist and professor of organ at UCLA and regularly plays one of the largest organs in the world at First Congregational Church of Los Angeles. He has recorded organ parts for several movies, including the latest Ghostbusters and Transformer movies. For more information about Christoph, click here. You may also enjoy viewing his TedxUCLA Talk here.
This event is co-sponsored by the Lincoln Organ Showcase, the Lincoln American Guild of Organists, Concordia University, Seward, NE and friends of St. John Lutheran Church.
St. John Lutheran
919 N Columbia Ave.
Seward, NE 68434
Concordia University – Seward, NE
800 N. Columbia Ave.
Seward, NE 68434
Free Parking Available
1) Church parking Lot (on Hillcrest, west of the church.)
2) Child Development Center Lot (Columbia and Hillcrest, just north of the church.)
3) Street parking on West Side of Columbia Ave.
4) Guest parking at Concordia in half-moon parking area, in front of Weller Hall
5) Guest parking at Concordia (off of Hillcrest, east of the church)
6) For other parking locations, see Concordia Map below.
Concordia Campus Map and Directions
Check-in for the Day’s Events
On the main floor of the Sanctuary, in the Narthex. (If parking west of the church, enter the basement doors, and use the stairs or elevator to reach the main floor of the sanctuary.)
Lunch and Afternoon Coffee/Cookies are included in the cost of registration.