Website Augustana Lutheran Church
Augustana Lutheran Church is seeking a full-time Minister of Music to be part of fulfilling our mission of celebrating God’s grace, welcoming everyone to worship Jesus, grow in faith and go serve in the world. The primary focus of this position is to provide music for the worship services but the music ministry also plays a key role in community outreach through concerts, education and collaborations. Our ideal candidate demonstrates musical excellence and an ability to create a welcoming environment for participation and engagement. Music is an expression of faith and is deeply important to the congregation of Augustana Lutheran Church.
Position Summary: The Minister of Music will coordinate Augustana’s music ministry in proclaiming the Gospel through music. The priority of this ministry is to invite musicians, congregation, and the outside community to experience the Holy Spirit, and to join in Christian community. The Music Ministry works with all ministries of Augustana Lutheran Church for the spiritual development of the congregation.
- Coordinates and/or leads all ensembles in following a common mission and vision
- Works with all other ministries to promote commonly-defined mission goals
- Enhances community awareness of Augustana and helps develop collaborations with other churches and the greater community
- Rehearses, recruits and conducts the Chancel Choir and other ensembles as necessary and appropriate
- Provides leadership and resources for worship and parish life relating to organ and other instruments, to include performance and programs that will enhance Augustana’s outreach and evangelism efforts
- Recruits, trains, and supervises leaders for Augustana’s various musical ensembles, including hand bell choir and AVE, a professional vocal quartet that provides music at all services.
- Coordinates music program for children and families
- Programs special music services and events (e.g., Easter, Christmas concert, Good Friday)
- Partners with Pastoral Staff, Worship Committee, and music personnel in worship planning
- Serves as a voting member on the Augustana Arts Board, representing the interests of Augustana Lutheran Church
- Shares responsibility with the Pastoral Care Team for pastoral care of members, especially those involved in music ensembles, including personal contact as appropriate
- Provides musical resources for weddings, funerals, and other special services
- Attends weekly staff meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Knowledge and appreciation of Lutheran liturgical arts and practices
- Proficiency in choral pedagogy and literature
- Proficiency in conducting
- Ability to convey personal faith to others
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficient music performance skills
- Proficient computer skills, data management, internet and email competency
- Master’s degree in Music
- 5+ years of experience as Music Director in comparably sized congregation or choral program
- Experience in budget and personnel management
- Possesses appropriate professional standing and leadership experience
- Ability to conduct a two-hour rehearsal
- Ability to prepare worship and rehearsal space
- Reports to Senior Pastor
- Works closely with music personnel, both volunteer and paid staff
- Collaborates with other ministries in common mission
How to Apply:
- Submit a cover letter
- Submit your resume
- Submit answers to Augustana’s 3 initial questions:
- Describe your experience with liturgical worship and the church year?
- What do you see is the role of the music minister as part of the whole church?
- What is your approach to effectively conducting a choir consisting primarily of volunteers?
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org