Website Lutheran Summer Music Academy & Festival
Lutheran Summer Music Academy & Festival
Title: Associate Cantor
Classification: Independent Contractor
Reports to: Cantor
Hours: Residence at Valparaiso University from Saturday, June 22, 2019 through Sunday, July 21, 2019
Lutheran Summer Music Academy & Festival (LSM), the nation’s premiere faith-based music academy for high school students,
invites applications for the position of Associate Cantor at the 2019 LSM Academy and Festival. An accomplished organist with
a commitment to liturgical music, the Associate Cantor will serve as an integral member of the worship staff alongside the
academy’s Chaplain, Cantor, and Sacristan. In consultation with the Cantor and other worship staff, the Associate Cantor will
focus her or his gifts and abilities in the following ways:
Primary responsibilities shall include:
• Serve as primary accompanist for the chapel choir, occasionally directing the ensemble as needed or desired
• Teach the “Introduction to Pipe Organ” elective
• Help plan and lead approximately 45 services—morning prayer, evening prayer, and Sunday Eucharist—across the four-week program
• Attend and engage in community life at LSM, as appropriate.
Secondary responsibilities may include:
• Plan and lead one or two meetings of the “Church Music” elective
• Depending on enrollment, teach lessons to secondary organ students
• Coach student musicians who participate in worship and assist in preparing the worship space
Details of responsibilities may be curated to meet the incumbent’s experience, career goals, and the evolving needs of LSM. The position is ideal for graduate students in organ or sacred music programs who desire to serve congregations within or beyond the Lutheran tradition as cantors, directors of music, organists, choir directors, composers, etc. Undergraduate students with advanced standing will also be considered.
• Bachelor’s degree in music or related field preferred.
• Performance and liturgical experience.
• Teaching experience, preferably at the high school and/or college level.
• Organized with excellent time management skills and ability to problem-solve quickly.
• Willing and able to teach private lessons, pedagogy, literature, and instill an appreciation and understanding of music.
• Model tolerance to the variety of faith backgrounds and worship traditions at LSM.
• Understanding of and commitment to, the mission of the organization.
• Ability to lift and/or carry displays and materials up to 25 pounds.
Independent contractor receives $500 stipend at the conclusion of LSM. A private room (faculty apartment) and board at Valparaiso University are also provided, if applicable. The incumbent is responsible for her or his own transportation to and from Valparaiso.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and names of at least two references to Thomas Bandar, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest should briefly outline the applicant’s training and experience as a church musician, as well as future career aspirations.
Though its worship life is centered around Lutheran liturgical practices and musical expressions, LSM welcomes students, faculty, and staff from all faiths and denominational backgrounds.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.lsmacademy.org/employment/ →