Website The Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd
Work schedule: The normal work schedule Includes afternoons, evenings, and weekends; attendance at all staff meetings, staff retreats, and congregational meetings; and other meetings and gatherings as determined by the Senior Pastor.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Salary: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, following the AGO guidelines. Limited Benefit package is included.
Summary of LCGS: The Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd (LCGS) is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). We are a Christian congregation that believes God’s love has come to us through Jesus Christ. Led by the Holy Spirit, we serve God and the community by sharing the good news of His grace. The LCGS shares the following values it holds with the ELCA and the Church Universal:
· We proclaim Jesus Christ through Word and worship.
· We welcome all people into our community.
· We nurture our community in its Christian growth.
· We serve by sharing the good news through acts of compassion in our community and in the world.
Our worship: We worship in the following ways. Holy Communion is celebrated at every Sunday service. Traditional worship is celebrated on Sundays at 8:00 and 11:00 am and Wednesdays at 6:45 pm. During the summer, services are held at 8 and 10 am on Sundays. Contemporary worship occurs on the second Sunday of the month during the 11 am service (10 am in the summer). Our traditional worship services follow the structure of the Lutheran liturgy; the congregation sings hymns and is supported by organ or piano and the Chancel Choir. The contemporary worship is more informal, and music is led by one of our adult or youth praise bands.
Facilities and other resources: LCGS has a two manual 12-rank Wicks pipe organ built in 1988, a Kohler and Campbell grand piano, both located in the Sanctuary. We also have a 20 member Chancel Choir, three praise bands (adult, high school and middle school), and a handbell choir ringing three octaves of handbells and five octaves of hand chimes. Additionally, we have the middle school Ringers and Singers Choir and the younger Angel Choir. In support of these ensembles, LCGS has a music library.
Purpose of the position: Lead, develop, coordinate, and implement a diverse music ministry; be responsible for the music program of the LCGS; perform the duties of organist and director of the choirs; coordinate and lead special music for festive worship services; and provide other music-related support to the congregation.
Required Education and Professional Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in music (Master’s degree preferred).
· Experience and proficiency in keyboard (organ and piano) performance.
· Experience and proficiency in choral direction and performance.
· Competency in handbell direction and performance.
· Successful parish music experience leading and directing traditional/liturgical, contemporary and blended services.
· Complete and pass a background check.
· Successful experience in incorporating diverse musical styles into worship services.
· Success in collaboratively developing and maintaining creative and inspiring worship experiences with other worship team leaders.
Key Skills and Competencies:
· Possess verbal and writing skills, including Microsoft Office applications.
· Organize, plan and maintain attention to detail.
· Meet deadlines, accept responsibilities, and fulfill commitments.
· Work independently as well as working well with others in a team environment.
· Have proficiency in building strong relationships with key positions in Church Council, and volunteers involved with and supporting worship and music programs.
· Lead with a flexible, collaborative, and cooperative spirit.
· Recruit and lead volunteer teams, choirs, ensembles and other groups.
· Manage multiple projects and activities, establish and set priorities, and be able to multi-task.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
· In consultation with the Senior Pastor, plan, oversee, and coordinate the musical components for all regular weekend, seasonal and special worship services throughout the liturgical year.
· Select and prepare liturgy, songs, hymns and special music for all services, with particular attention to church year, scripture, sermon, and service theme.
· Serve as primary organist and/or pianist for the regular weekend traditional and blended worship services.
· Provide supervision and direction to all accompanists, choirs, ensembles, vocalists, and instrumentalists providing music for worship services to include leading rehearsals for each, as appropriate.
· Plan special musical ensembles and lead music for mid-week Advent and Lenten Services, Christmas Eve, Holy Week, Easter, and other High Holy Days of the church year and work with Senior Pastor to coordinate the music components for other services (i.e. weddings, funerals, installations, etc.).
· Actively recruit, nurture, and coordinate the use of vocalists and instrumentalists in the music ministry of the LCGS seeking always to train and integrate adult and youth volunteers into the Music Ministry according to their gifts, abilities, interests, and availability.
· Arrange for organist substitutes and contract additional instrumentalists, as needed.
· Maintain professional competency by attending workshops and seminars, reading professional publications, and participating in other professional development activities.
· Coordinate the timely submission of content for the LCGS Worship and Music website page, updated as needed.
· Submit annual budget recommendations for the Music Ministry, monitor expenses and work with Worship and Music Ministry Mission Group leader to approve payments and reimbursements as appropriate.
· Attend weekly staff meetings.
· Communicate worship details to office staff each week for bulletin and projection slide preparation.
· Meet with Worship and Music Ministry Team and other worship planners for long-range planning.
· Oversee music copyright management and reporting, administer and maintain the music libraries and oversee all instruments owned by LCGS. Work with the Worship and Music Ministry Team to provide for regular tuning, maintenance and periodic replacement.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org