Website Trinity Lutheran Church
Trinity Lutheran Church, North Bethesda, MD, is seeking a part-time Choir Director/Organist to lead the adult choir and support and expand the music ministries of the congregation. A Reconciling in Christ congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Trinity welcomes all to a community in Christ; serving others, growing in faith, living in hope, and reaching out in love. The mission of the music ministry at Trinity is to lead the congregation in liturgies that glorify God. To support this, adult choirs, handbell choirs, and children’s choirs work diligently to prepare the finest music in a variety of styles and genres. In addition to anthems based on the lectionary, choral ensembles regularly lead the congregation liturgically in the form of psalm settings, liturgical chants, service propers and hymns. The Choir Director/Organist directs and manages a broad program to foster the congregation’s spiritual enrichment through the ministry of music by coordinating the musical activities of the Church and actively participating in planning and conducting worship services.
If you are interested, please send resume and cover letter to: Carol Bruno, Chair, Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or Carol Bruno, Chair, Search Committee, Trinity Lutheran Church, 11200 Old Georgetown Rd, North Bethesda, MD 20852.
Ministry with the Congregation
1. Together with the Pastor, plans the congregational music program.
2. Develops and implements a recruiting program to continually attract singers for the adult choir and instrumentalists for special ensembles (Christmas, Easter, Reformation Sunday, and other services).
3. Engages in fellowship activities of the Church including coffee hours, soup suppers, and educational opportunities.
4. Encourages people of all ages to participate in the musical life of the church during the services and special music opportunities, including but not limited to:
a. Involving children and youth through choirs and special instrumental opportunities
b. Holding workshops, teaching courses, and writing articles related to music for the monthly Trinitarian, the Sunday worship folder, and other appropriate publications.
c. Arranging and conducting major music events annually.
5. Participates in or coordinates music for annual multi-congregational services (handbell concert, Service for Christian Unity, and Good Friday service).
6. Accompanies the Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and other church groups, as requested.
1. Collaborates with the Worship and Music Committee and the handbell choir director in planning and leadership of the music program.
2. Annually, drafts and submits for approval a budget for the music program. Operates within the approved budget.
3. Reports directly to the Pastor. Fosters constructive and productive relationships with church staff and Congregational leaders.
Specific Choral Duties
1. Schedules and leads all activities of the choirs.
2. From September until June, directs the adult choir in rehearsal and worship services.
3. Together with the Pastor, selects music appropriate for the day/season.
4. Teaches choral and musical technique, the language of music, and provides music workshops as needed.
5. Ensures that choir robes, music, and other materials are appropriately maintained.
6. Ensures that the choral music library is complete and kept current.
Specific Organ/Piano Duties
1. Plays the organ and piano for the Lutheran liturgies of the congregation, including two Sunday services, Wednesday Lenten services, Holy Week services, and Christmas Eve and Christmas services.
2. Plans and prepares appropriate organ and piano music (eg., pre- and postludes).
3. Serves as organist at church weddings and funeral services, as available.
4. Ensures that the organ and pianos are appropriately tuned and maintained by approved third parties.
1. Choral conducting skills (Instrumental conducting skills highly desirable)
2. Keyboard and organ skills
3. Organizational, communication and leadership skills
4. Ability to foster positive relationships with people of all ages
5. Minimum Bachelor of Arts degree in music or equivalent experience
Average hours per week -15
1. Time at Church for liturgies and rehearsals – 6 hours
2. Keyboard practice for church-related music – 4 hours
3. Administrative (staff meetings, planning, selecting music, and communicating with choir) – 5 hours
This job description is not meant to be all inclusive. It may be expanded to include particular interests and skills of individual candidates in light of the needs and opportunities of the congregation.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com