Unity Ev. Lutheran Church
Title: Minister of Music (Organist/Pianist & Choir Director)
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Direct/accompany the adult choir in one rehearsal per week (Wednesday @ 7:00p) toward participation in worship each Sunday, September – May.
In addition, prepare the choir for special services throughout the Church year such as Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Vigil of Easter, as determined by consultation with the Worship Ministry committee.
2. Arrange for and schedule appropriate music for worship during June, July and August.
3. Participate with the Worship Ministry committee in the planning of worship and other musical activities of the congregation.
The Worship Ministry committee includes the Pastor, Minister of Music and lay participants. The committee meets monthly to reflect on past worship and to engage in seasonal planning for worship and study. The committee chooses hymns and liturgical settings for Sundays and midweek services during Advent and Lent. It also makes decisions about the worship environment (arrangement of the space, decoration, etc.).
4. Select and provide organ/piano music or all Sunday morning services and other seasonal services of the church (preludes, postludes, anthems for choir/soloists, pieces for instrumentalists, etc.). The congregation maintains a choral library and database cataloging its contents.
5. Maintain professional competency by practicing, performing, attending continuing education opportunities, teaching workshops or seminars and reading professional journals.
Skills and Qualifications
1. Bachelor/Master of Music or Bachelor of Organ Performance preferred
2. Facility in leading the choir/congregation’s song from both organ and piano
3. Experience in choral conducting
4. Knowledge of appropriate church music (classical, global/folk, gospel, and contemporary) and the role of music in Lutheran worship
5. Experience as a ‘team player” and ability to relate to others with good interpersonal skills
Salary and Other Considerations
In addition, the Minister of Music shall:
1. Be permitted to use the church organ and piano for private teaching. Scheduling may be arranged through the church office and should not conflict with congregational activities.
2. Demonstrate a desire to be collegial and share gifts and responsibilities (For example, teach a class on worship or music or write a newsletter article)
3. Assist the Worship Ministry committee in finding a substitute when necessary.
4. Give 30 days and written notice of intent to terminate employment.
The congregation will:
1. Provide 4 weeks of vacation annually with full salary.
2. Provide a salary commensurate with degree and experience according to the salary guidelines provided by the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians.
a. Bachelor of Music or Music Performance: $22,000 – $29,000
b. Master of Music: $24,000 – $33,000
3. Maintain a policy for compensating the Music Minister $150 for weddings and/or funerals.
4. Provide $700 annually for Continuing Education.
5. Provide necessary funding for membership in the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians and subscription to ALCM professional journal, Cross Accent.
6. Give 30 days and written notice of intent to terminate employment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com