Pre-Conference Finale® Training
Monday, June 24, 2019
8:30 am – 3:30 pm
“Must-Have Tools for the Church Musician”
presented by Mavis Kallestad
Cost: $128 (includes lunch on site)
MAXIMUM ENROLLMENT FOR THE WORKSHOP: 20 registrants Only 2 spaces left!
Get up-to-date on the latest Finale music notation time saving features and shortcuts that will help you work more efficiently and increase your productivity in preparing music for your worship needs. Topics include: Fast note entry with a MIDI keyboard; templates; using metatools to enter markings and expressions; using contextual menus to reduce editing time; entering, editing, copying lyrics and chord symbols; score and part layout tips; transposing and printing instrument parts; importing and adapting scores for your ensembles; handbell scores; chant notation; formatting scores for church bulletins; and creating large format text + melody to use with PowerPoint hymn projection. The workshop is a combination of Finale feature demonstrations as well as hands-on time. Handouts will be provided by the clinician.
8:30a Finale Session 1:
- Score Setup and Templates
- Fast Note Entry using a MIDI keyboard
- Creating an Instrumental Score
- Creating a Choral Score
- Adapting Existing Scores for your Ensembles
12:00n Lunch (served on site)
1:00p Finale Session 2:
- Creating a Lead Sheet
- Placing a Musical Excerpt in the Church Bulletin
- Handbell Scores
- Chant Notation
- Creating Large Format Text and Melody for Overhead Hymn Projection
- Sharing Your Music
3:30p Finale training ends. Opening Eucharist begins at 4:00p.
PARTICIPANT REQUIREMENTS FOR THE WORKSHOP:
Each workshop participant will be required to bring:
- A LAPTOP COMPUTER with an authorized version of Finale v25 or Finale v26 installed, or the 30-day Finale v26 free trial version (download at http://www.finalemusic.com/free-trial/). NOTE: Finale v26 or the free trial version requires Windows 7, 8 or 10 (64-bit), or Mac OS 10.12, 10.13 or 10.14 (Sierra, High Sierra, or Mojave). Finale v25 and v26 are fully compatible with OS 10.14 (Mojave). For more information on Finale system requirements, go to:
- POWER ADAPTER for your computer and extension cord to plug into electrical power for the duration of the workshop.
- HEADPHONES (so participants will not be hearing everyone else’s music playing back
- at the same time).
- OPTIONAL: If you wish to learn a faster way to enter notes in Finale, bring a 2 or 4-octave USB plug-and-play MIDI controller keyboard (no full size keyboards please).
- OPTIONAL: An external 2-button mouse. (A laptop trackpad works fine with Finale, but some people find it easier to use an external mouse for right-clicking to bring up contextual menus).