Applications are now being accepted for the 2023 Norma Aamodt-Nelson Student Scholar Award. This award was established in 2021 to honor the legacy of Norma, a practicing church musician and Instrumental Acquisitions Editor for Augsburg Fortress from 1993 until her death in 2020. The establishment of this award encourages collegiate students as they prepare for a vocation in church music. Applicants must be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student as of Fall 2023. The recipient will receive a full scholarship for the 2023 ALCM biennial conference in Philadelphia, including housing and travel expenses, as well as a cash prize of $500. The recipient will also be invited to publicly play a piece at the conference. The deadline for submission has been extended to May 15.
Video audition requirements
Each applicant will be asked to submit a video (YouTube or Vimeo) as part of the application process. The video(s) should include the following:
- One or more instrumental, vocal, or conducting pieces.
- Each piece included must be appropriate for use in a Lutheran worship service.
- For each piece on the recording, you will be asked to submit the title and composer, and to explain where you might include it in the Lutheran liturgy.
- A recording demonstrating the applicant’s leading a congregational song of their choice.
- The applicant may choose to accompany the song instrumentally or through conducting or vocal leadership.
- This video may be recorded during an actual liturgy or with a small ensemble of singers representing the congregation.
Questions? Contact the ALCM office at email@example.com or by phone at 800-624-2526.
Renata Peperkorn Named
2021 Norma Aamodt-Nelson Student Scholar
Renata Peperkorn has been selected from twelve accomplished applicants representing colleges and universities across the United States and Canada as ALCM’s first Norma Aamodt-Nelson Student Scholar. Renata is a rising junior at Concordia University Nebraska double majoring in Church Music and Music Education as a Bachelor of Music candidate. Her teachers include Marian Metson, Dr. Jeffrey Blersch, Dr. Joseph Herl, and Dr. Kurt von Kampen. She will officially receive the award during ALCM’s July 29 virtual business meeting which will include a portion of her video organ audition. The award includes a $1,000 scholarship towards her college tuition.
Student applicants receiving honorable mention include Nathan Elsbernd (Luther College), Wendy Johnston (Peabody Institute/Johns Hopkins University), Renee Nikkel (Western University) and Sarah Palmer (St. Olaf College). Congratulations to these fine young musicians!