Website Lutheran Summer Music Academy & Festival
Lutheran Summer Music Academy & Festival
Classification: Independent Contractor
Reports to: Chaplain
Hours: Residence at Valparaiso University from Saturday, June 22, 2019 through Sunday, July 21, 2019
Lutheran Summer Music Academy & Festival (LSM), the nation’s premiere faith-based music academy for high school students, LSM invites applications for the position of Sacristan at the 2019 LSM Academy and Festival. As one who possesses both familiarity with and appreciation for the richness of liturgical practice, the Sacristan will serve as an integral member of the
worship staff alongside the academy’s Chaplain, Cantor, and Associate Cantor. In consultation with the Chaplain and other worship staff, the Sacristan will focus her or his gifts and abilities in the following ways.
Primary responsibilities shall include:
• Dutifully prepare worship space and materials for approximately 45 services—morning prayer, evening prayer, and Sunday Eucharist—across the four-week program
• Coordinate schedule and develop training for student worship assistants including assisting ministers, lectors, crucifers, torchbearers, communion assistants, and ushers
• Attend to precise logistical details for processions and other ritual actions
Secondary responsibilities may include:
• Plan and lead one or two meetings of the “Church Music” elective
• Help design service bulletins and leader books
• Participate in the musical opportunities afforded the LSM community including large ensembles, chapel choir, or by serving as a cantor or instrumentalist
Details of responsibilities may be curated to meet the incumbent’s experience, career goals, and the evolving needs of LSM. The position is ideal for current seminarians or graduate students who desire to serve congregations within or beyond the Lutheran tradition as pastors, deacons, directors of music, etc. Undergraduate students with advanced standing will also be considered.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Knowledge of liturgical practice.
• Organized with excellent time management skills and ability to problem-solve quickly.
• Model tolerance to the variety of faith backgrounds and worship traditions at LSM.
• Understanding of and commitment to, the mission of the organization.
• Ability to lift and/or carry displays and materials up to 25 pounds.
Independent contractor receives $500 stipend at the conclusion of LSM. A private room (faculty apartment) and board at Valparaiso University are also provided, if applicable. The incumbent is responsible for her or his own transportation to and from Valparaiso.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and names of at least two references to Thomas Bandar, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest should briefly outline the applicant’s training and experience, as well as future career aspirations.
Though its worship life is centered around Lutheran liturgical practices and musical expressions, LSM welcomes students, faculty, and staff from all faiths and denominational backgrounds.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.lsmacademy.org/employment/ →